I got to spend some time in the shop Friday. I just completed the install of about 300 feet of base trim for a client earlier in the week. He now wants me to re-do the door casings that the previous owner put in. So after making a run down the hill to get some more lumber I Started machining, sanding, staining and oiling. In the winter , I have to run the shop heaters a few hours prior to getting down there to keep from freezing to death. When I fired them up Friday afternoon it was 34 degree down there…I get started when it reaches 50 or so. I use two Mr. Heater infrared units that mount on the top of 20# BBQ propane tanks, one in each room of the shop. When we build at the ranch…I get my wood stove in the shop…burn up some scrap…and get heat to boot. We won’t need much since it will be passive solar designed. Before I got started with this second round of trim, I had to stack to the side, the 210 feet (half of the wood for the cabin ceiling) that I worked on last week..with all the ceiling wood + my clients…its nearly 850 lineal feet through or in the shop recently…sometimes I wish my shop was bigger…but heating that much space would be a bummer.
One of the challenges for this door trim project is the previous owners of my clients house (owner built home) used 5/8″ drywall inside the home for most of the walls. The problem lies in all the interior door jambs are standard size….4 1/2″…When 5/8″ dry wall is used the wallboard sits 1/4″ away from the jamb…if the jamb is set to one side….most of them were set somewhere in the middle and were nowhere near plumb or true. I’ve reset them and now need to fabricate some 1/4″ jamb extensions, I’ll install these later when I finish up the second round of trim. Another first for me in the wacky world of half ass carpentry…done by morons, is that these doors were set with 3″ cabinet screws…through the door stops…..These are stain grade jambs…if these were paint grade…and were painted you might get away with it. The second challenge is, I replaced the el-cheapo luan hollow core doors with some nice 4 panel knotty pine doors. These new doors that my client bought were slightly under sized, after mortising new hinge locations and getting them installed we had a gap of about 1/4 on the strike side…so I had to perform a little jamb surgery and reset them for proper reveal. The original installs were crappy enough to make the top ten list.
Crappy Carpentry I have encountered over the years.
1. Drywall found sandwiched between a total of 7 layers of roll roofing.
2. Lean-too addition on cabin…18″ out of square in only 7 feet.
3. 3/8″ thick piece of cedar siding used as a ridge beam.
4. Room Addition set 18″ below grade, back filled with dirt up along wood framing.
5. Kitchen floor 3″ out of level in less than 8 feet.
6. Deck footer, poured slab 2″ deep…in 48″ frost depth zone…demolition with 1 hand lift.
7. Plumbing repair to frozen pipe…8 repairs in less tan 2 feet of pipe.
8. Toilet rough in 18″ from back wall (normal is 12″)
9. Exterior window trim, installed with 16d framing nails
10. Interior doors, installed with (3) 3″ gold cabinet screws THROUGH DOOR STOP…and nothing else.
I’m sure this list will evolve as I experience more projects in the future…but for now…its enough to put a chuckle in the minds of my fellow carpenters.