With the need to procure ketchup, and insulation, a trip into Taos was planned for Monday morning. One of my observations at the cabin was that the west exterior window frame and sill was beginning to show some signs of weathering, it had gone through 2 winters with just a coat of primer and was starting to need a boost. Additionally, the tar paper has become quite ragged in its two winters of exposure, and I had brought down some Tyvek over Thanksgiving but ran out of time to get it up then.
I was hoping to get some siding up in the first year or so…but the complications and expenses of the Ex’s DUI and My custody battle costs last year took a hit in the cabin build schedule and expense budget.
Late last summer I picked up a gallon of mis-tinted paint at my local hardware store, one of the clerks called it pea soup, but to me it looked a bit like a cross between sagebrush and the juniper at the ranch. With a price of only $5 the color looked fine to me…Its not too often you find such a good deal on a $25-$28 dollar can of exterior paint. Even if the color was way wacky, $5 beats even simple primer for value.
In addition to the insulation I picked up in Taos, I got a small can of blue paint (Tori and I had talked about a Turquoise type color for the cabins trim) Tasha picked out one that looked real close…This quart was about $14 and will be used on all of the cabin trim when the time comes. Today it started its role in protecting the outside of the west window.
Before I got the ladder set up and started on the window I set up the girls with a brush and the $5 shed paint…I knew that I would have to finish that job too but at least the girls got the idea that they were helping…and fulfilling part of the deal I made that I would pay them for helping this week while at the cabin.
I had barely finished the small bit on the window before I had to take over on the shed. The gallon held out enough to get the front and both sides completed. The back will need to wait for now…perhaps with another $5 mis tint special. The final color of the shed will be the same as the cabin. After it gets sided..but for now the paint will help protect the bare wood.
The girls finished up the afternoon with a photo shoot of their Blythe dolls, hanging out in the vicinity of the cabin and taking some other pics. It was Sierra who got the pic of me working on the window.